- 3 Large eggplants sliced, 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup flour
- Olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 lb ground lamb meat
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Shredded parmesan cheese
- Bechamel Sauce:
- 625ml of milk
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 3 eggs
- 4 tbsp flour
- Salt the eggplant slices and place them between paper towels. Let them sit for 20-30 min.
- Roll the slices of eggplant in flour.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and cook the eggplants on each side for 2 min.
- Remove the eggplants and let them rest on paper towels.
- In the same pan, cook the onions in olive oil until tender and golden..
- Add the ground lamb. Cook until the meat loses the pink color.
- Add the tomatoes, crushes tomatoes, garlic, oregano, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and let it simmer until thick.
- To make the bechamel sauce, heat 3/4 of the milk and the butter on the stove.
- Beat together, in a casserole, the eggs, 1/4 of the milk, the flour and the salt.
- Gradually add the heated milk and butter mixture and keep stirring until thick.
- Preheat the oven at 325F.
- Assemble the moussaka in a dish that goes in the oven: row of eggplant slices, parmesan cheese, meat and tomato mixture, eggplant slices once more, parmesan cheese and bechamel sauce.
- Cook for 30 minutes at 325F. The increase the temperature to 400F and cook for an additional 15 min.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest before serving.